Sunday, April 14, 2013

Action Research as a Powerful Tool for Success


What have I learned about action research and how I can use it?

Action Research is a very powerful tool for integrating change for overall improvement of your students, culture and climate of your school.  As an administrator, using action research allows me to focus on the needs of my students, teachers, and environment at my school. I learned that traditionally, an administrator was more of a technician, carrying out what others, outside of their campus have researched and recommended to improve their student achievement and school environment. Although the research of others is a very important part for initiating change, it is imperative that the inquiry or question come from the administrator and address problems that they face on their campus and with their teachers and students. Action research has a powerful effect on administration.  As an administrator engages in inquiry, it makes her reflections purposeful and visible. It allows her to be reflective, collect and analyze data about the needs of her students and teachers, and it allows for administrators to work in a “professional learning community” with other staff members, which builds rapport on the campus as well as creating a good model of instructional leadership. I feel that as an aspiring leader I could use action research specifically on my campus to take initiative and reflect on the needs of my campus. Meeting with teachers and staff will enable me to inquire about the needs of our students and our school that are keeping us from being more successful.  As an inquiring leader, I will specifically assess the needs of Pre-K students on our campus and research how improving student learning and instruction through assessment can improve teacher performance and student achievement. I feel that researching other full day Pre-K campuses and researching what 4 year olds can accomplish and how you can assess them will give me great insight on what we have to do to raise the expectations of teachers and students on our campus. I am very excited to get started on my action research project and with my supervisor, implement changes that will help our emergent learners be more successful and kindergarten ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment